City of Secrets FAQ
Unofficial FAQ for City of Secrets, the 2nd chapter pack of the King’s Landing cycle.
Proof reading done by Collin WeirArrogant Contender
- If you win a challenge with Arrogant Contender and other characters, he can trigger his reaction if he becomes alone in the challenge during the reaction window after comparing the STR to determine the winner. (Ex: You win a challenge with Arrogant Contender and The Hound).
Show of Strength
- Triggered abilities engage the game state at the time they resolve. If a triggered ability creates a lasting effect on a set of cards, only cards that are in play at the time the event card is played are eligible to be affected. Cards that enter play after the resolution of the event are not affected by its lasting effect.
Show of Strength affects characters that are eligible (STR 3 or lower) when it’s played. If other characters with 3 STR or less enters play or a character already in play has it’s STR reduced to 3 or less after Show of Strength resolves, they are not treated as if their printed text box were blank. Characters who have already been treated as if their printed text box were blank by Show of Strength and then has their strength increased above 3 are still blank.
*****Owen the Oaf
- Owen the Oaf’s ability also affects himself. (Ex: He does not contribute his STR to the challenge if he gains a military or power icon)
- Characters with a second copy of the same challenge icon are only considered to have one icon and would still contribute it’s strength to the challenge. (Ex: Alayaya with Ser Pounce attached)
*****The Black Cells
- A character that’s chosen for The Black Cells cannot kneel to participate in a challenge or be used to pay for abilities where standing or kneeling that character is part of the cost. (Ex: Ser Barristan Selmy, Chataya’s Brothel). Characters that do not kneel to participate can still participate in challenges.
*****The Fowler Twins
- The chosen character does not need to participate if it cannot (Ex: missing the challenge icon to be declared as a defender or attacker in the current challenge, already kneeling)
- After a character is chosen by The Fowler Twins, a player may still do something to render the chosen character unable to participate (Ex: kneeling the character or removing a challenge icon)
- If a character is chosen by The Fowler Twins and does not participate in the next challenge, it is no longer required to participate in the challenge that comes afterwards. (Ex: The Red Viper is chosen, the controller uses an ability to remove his military icon and then initiates a military challenge. If the next challenge afterwards is power, he’s no longer forced to participate.)
*****A City Besieged
- If A City Besieged is revealed as your last plot, the plots in your used pile remained there until after all the When Revealed abilities have been initiated.
- The attached location gains the ability to draw a card and therefore the controller of the location is the one who can trigger it.
- The text granted to the location is not blanked by other effects that blank the location. (Ex: Nightmares)
Alannys Greyjoy CoS
- If you put a duplicate of a Greyjoy location into play under your control, the triggering condition has not been met, thus you do not get to draw a card.
Black Market Merchant
- Black Market Merchant cannot find attachments with cost “-” because they do not have a printed cost.
Knights of the Hollow Hill (Source)
- A gold bonus is a positive gold modifier(Ex: The Roseroad). Cards with a negative gold modifiers are still applied to your revealed plot. (Ex: Pleasure Barge)
- Your opponent’s cards effects can increase the gold value on your plot. (Ex: Gates of the Moon, Trading with Qohor)
- Cards that increase your gold value through text still work. (Ex: The Stone Drum, Winter Reserves)